Off of the mountain and back to DC...

Off of the mountain and back to DC...

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sunday walk

This morning the hounds got me up at 5:20am... I let them out, rested my forehead on the front door with my eyes closed, let them back in, and went back to bed. Hank can't hold it all night long anymore, so he gets me up once a night. It is what it is, and the alternative is him having an accident every single night... he's a good boy for getting me up... I've got no complaints. This morning the hounds got me up at 7:01am... I got up, royally pissed... let them out, yelled through the glass of the front door that they were rotten dogs, shook my fist, adjusted my underpants without shame, and watched them tear around the front yard. I let them back in, and glared at each of them until they ignored me, got up onto the bed and went back to sleep. This morning I lay in bed until 9am, too stubborn to waste the only day I get to sleep in, by getting out of bed before 9am, but unable to fall back asleep. *SIGH* I let the dogs out, wished them well if they didn't come back, put the coffee on to brew, and took a 20 minute shower. And when I got out of the shower, I felt fucking AMAZING! I drank 3 cups of coffee, smiled at everything, even the stink bugs on the wall, made the dogs nervous by barring my teeth at them every time they looked at me, and we finally decided to go buy some groceries for the week, and go find some river.
We went people food shopping first, and the dogs stayed in the car with the windows down while I bought stuff for the coming week in the city, and then... we went hound shopping, because right next door to the Weis Grocery store, is the Petco, 'grocery store'.
The dogs LOVE the Petco... we walk up and down all the aisles, check out the turtles and the ferrets, that make June's tail wag so hard, the employees fawn over them, and then we get to the treat aisle, where I basically buy them whatever they want. I know, it sounds insane, but they check out all the treats, and then which ever one they pick up is the one I buy for them... Hank is a big fan of the pig ears, and June picked out a pressed rawhide treat this time and Cane couldn't decide so... oh, did I mention that whichever treat one dog picks out, I buy three of them... just to be fair... anyhoo, yeah... I'm insane... but the dogs LOVE this store!
And we all love driving with the windows down...
Even spoiled Junie who stole Hank's front seat spot for the ride back home... naughty younger sister! Yeah, I did take this one and the one of Cane and Hank's butt and the groceries, while I was driving... ugh... yeah... but the weather was so nice, we were invincible today...
So, after we got back to the house and unloaded groceries, we packed back into the car, drove just about 2 miles and entered Shannondale (National Park) and weaved our way to the Shenandoah river. The water is still really high, from the almost flood we had, so the dogs didn't spend too much time in it, but we had a great walk. Hank walked for the first 20 feet with us before deciding it was too much nature and headed back to the car.
HHHhahahahaha!! This view makes Hank shake... what an ass! Oh my poor agoraphobic hound. Oh well, the weather was awesome, and we rolled down the windows for him and off the rest of us went for a walk.
I've had Cane all weekend as Chris is spending Easter with his family, and it's been really great for June to have her play partner with her on such great days. Hahaha, foot travel only is no joke... Cane got some foot travel right in the face!
So these are spring onions... they look like lovely grass, but they're edible and so very delicious... as they get older, their tips start to curl in these dramatic kinked shapes... mmmm spring onions
kind of like this vine... I love finding these vines and all the crazy shapes they make... The next time I'm out I'm going to pluck some of them and see if I can't make some cool earrings from them... I wonder what I could dip them in to strengthen them... like a shellac... hmmm... am thinking... can you feel the heat coming off my head... it may very well start to melt...
ooh! look at how the inside of this stalk looks like a spine... or a skeleton... I thought it was beautiful and stared at it until June circled back to collect me...
Everything is in bloom right now... big trees, small weeds, broken grasses and tangled vines... everything is cranking out life...
and it's so great to walk along a path with the dogs and not see another person and find all these lovely displays of nature
oh June, not that display of nature... She's a funny hound. When Dozer was all up in her grille wanting to play, she wanted nothing to do with him, and even turned tummy to get him to stop... thinking perhaps that if she was submissive he'd leave her alone, but he just wanted to play and tortured her... hahaha, silly June, and yet, with Cane, she's a ferocious play hound! GGGRRRRR!!! June the Terrible!!
June, the tree eater!!
June the copycat... she copies everything she sees Cane do! She's a roof sitter, she's a wind growler (she'll grumble at the slightest noise), she pulls food from the bowl and goes to eat it somewhere else, so many of her characteristics have so clearly been learned from Cane... it's neat to watch, especially since I have access to her sister Ollie, when we visit with Mike, so I can see what she's learned from Cane and what characteristics are just in her nature, because her sister does the same thing.
It's been a great weekend, hanging with the dogs, and with the perfect weather. Oh, and do you see the balls of leaves, twigs and stuff behind me, that's all from the almost flood we had. The river, at one point last month, was over my head here in this shot... cool!!
This is the road to get to the river... it says, city folks steer clear, you might be swept away by the little river, so you may not even want to cross this to get to the real river! To me it said, YAY! There should be no one on the path today!! Thank you Bernadette, for being such a good (and high chassied) car, this was a piece of cake and well worth the barrier crossing.
Cheers!

1 comment:

Mom said...

I have a feeling that even when you move into DC, you'll be taking trips back to HF to commune with nature. I wouldn't blame you at all. It's a beautiful place of serenity and peace and a terrific place of unwind from reality.