Off of the mountain and back to DC...

Off of the mountain and back to DC...

Sunday, February 7, 2010

The everglades were on fire under an almost full aura'd moon...

I saw the most beautiful thing when I was down in Miami. Aaron and I took a drive into the everglades like we used to do when we were young. 3am and we had the car in neutral, poking down a dirt road with the everglades marsh lands on one side and a canal'ish line of water buffering the road from the marshlands on the other side which had recently been on fire. The moon was almost full and there was a wide aura around it that kept the clouds at bay and wreathed them around the perfect black iris and white pupil of the moon. Every once and a while, small islands of scrub brush in the canal would catch fire as the embers from the larger fire that had died out, dried them out enough to smoulder and then ignite... and there we were, windows down, sweatshirts on because of the breeze, Bob Marley playing low, full moon with an aura and clouds that were lit brightly enough to cast shadows against the sky, as the everglades burned around us, and the dirt road was endless and empty.
It was so perfect, I could feel it burning into my memory, this moment, the feeling, the smell of burn trees and the crisp air that brought it to me that had as always just a touch of humidity in it.
It makes me take a heavy breath to remember it, and it may be the best thing I see all year, and that's fine, it was more than enough.
Thank you my oldest friend, time with you, really is going home again...
~Cheers

1 comment:

Mom said...

I'm so glad you and Aaron had a great time! I just had to get used to the fact that you were out for not just the evening, but the night, too. Even at the tender age of 34, you still give you mother worries.