Off of the mountain and back to DC...

Off of the mountain and back to DC...

Saturday, February 6, 2010

This is not Miami...

So, I got back from Miami last Monday and then it snowed on Tuesday... not the best welcome back I can imagine, but not big super deal... it is still the middle of winter.
Chris and Cane came over to do laundry and for dinner and once they'd left, I started gathering my gear for DC, as I had a shoot at the Museum on Thursday. I called my girlfriends in DC and set up dates for coffee and wine and planned in spending a lovely day in DC on Friday and then heading over to Jenna's to finish our wedding edits...
ooh, soooo wrong...
I came back from the shoot Thursday night at about midnight, and then Friday morning it started to snow... and it hasn't stopped yet...
and I'm sooooo over it... oh, and I'm also trapped in my house... well, I can get out my door, but really what's the point... the snow is up to my mid thigh and I just read that the highlands (ie, my little blue house) may very well see three feet of snow...
here's the quote:
Forecasters were predicting that the mountains of West Virginia and Maryland, west of the nation's capital, would receive the most snow -- possibly 3 feet.
WTF, Nature?!! WTF, my friends...

Anyhoo, my neighbor, Bob, stopped by with a friendly, "hey, Miami, you know how to start a fire" and invited himself in to inspect my situation.
He fixed the rotation of my fan, chopped a bunch of wood, talked up a storm and let Hank sleep all over him
while we shared a bottle of wine and I made dinner as a thank you.
Bob is an Artist, he's had shows in the Village, was a painter, a sculptor, has made movies, and his brains are full of art and art history, and hatred for phony artists, and
he's a word machine. He never stops talking, and it's fascinating. Sometimes I'm totally absorbed, and sometimes, I'm barely paying attention (like when I made this picture, no idea of what he was talking about), and sometimes, he's yelling at my ceiling, railing on about something, and being in the same room with him is just an experience. I like him a lot! He's just dazzling interesting, a successful dinosaur of an Artist from the 60's... I can say he's probably the coolest neighbor I've ever had (no offense Dean, you were across the street, so you don't count as a 'next door'), this is my favorite image of him. He's got a beautiful smile, and I like that it's soft and grainy, it suits him.
So, Bob and I ate dinner, watched La Strada on Netflix, and watched the snow come down, oh and of course, Bob talked up a snownami of words to fit the weather.
So, this was one of the last images I made before going to sleep last night. I had continued to shovel away just my front entry way, because being from Miami, I have an irrational fear of being snowed into my house. You know when you wake up in the morning and your front door is stuck shut with snow, and you're trapped... Right, so my door opens in and there's no danger of that, but I was obsessive about that entry way. This was maybe two or three minuted after shoveling it...
and this morning! HOLY SNOW!!
Again, last night around 3am... it was just below my knees...
and this morning, it's almost to my hips... hahaha, for reference, because it seems impossible that it can snow that much. Think about porch railings. They usually go to your hips... and check out the snow... Cuh'ra'zee...
Poor hank was traumatized this morning when we went out to pee... He was so upset, he peed right there, in the snow, and then slogged back to the doorway and went back to bed.
June had better ideas and off she plowed...
and then realized how deep it was...
and then got stuck...
and thought, screw this!!
but then tried it again, and really got stuck, I thought I was going to have to jump in after her on this shot... she was still sinking as I made this... hahaha!!!
but she made it out! Yay!!
hahaha, every time she made a big jump, she'd all but disappear from sight. She was a nose and a tail and that's it.
She looks all though, but she's only about 10 feet away from the house.
and she found her snow path and took it back to me in about 30 seconds
and then just sat in the entry way, confused as to why the snow was taller than she is... she didn't want to come inside, but she didn't try to go out into the snow again... hahahah!!! poor snow dog got oversnowed!! June and I are going to head outside in a few minutes to make some pictures of the house. Of course, it's still snowing, so we won't be out for long, but I'm curious to see how snowed in we look, because it feels intense!! I'll make some pictures of us in the snow with my wide glass... it will really be up to my hips... hahaha!!!
Cheers!

2 comments:

Sarah R said...

These are such beautiful pictures. My goodness, I just want to hang at your house, drink coffee and play!

Anonymous said...

Really COLD pics. June looks like she is having a blast. Wish my girls could play with hr - they would love this!! Yea - I would watch from the living room. I ain't goin' out in that!